About Me

My photo
I am starting my 7th year of teaching and I can't believe it. This will be my 4th year in first grade I am excited to start implementing the common core standards this year.

Blogs That Inspire Me

TBA
Clutter-Free Classroom
First Grade Glitter and Giggles

Blogs I Read

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Common Core Math

Today I sat in training on the math common core standards ALL DAY. It was good work but it made for a long day and it sent my mind spinning with lots of new ideas. But I came out with some good resources for y'all (I may be from the north but my heart has always been in the south) and I'm excited to share them. Hopefully you haven't already heard of them all.
1. illustrativemathematics.org - This is offically my new favorite website. I think I finally understand the common core. First off, if you click K-8 standards it gives you this great visual of how the standards are mapped out across grade levels. Then if you click on your grade level it will give you all the standards and if next to the standard it says illustration that means it gives you ideas to use in your classroom!! Amazing!! Also, you can sign up to be a member and review the activities presented which means you'll know when they add new activities. I can't wait to become a member.
2. www.ccsstoolbox.com - This site is from the University of Texas and this group of people who developed the website are the ones writing the prototype questions for the new assessments. If your district doesn't have a scope and sequence for the CC like mine doesn't (we're working on it) then you can click Resources for Implementation and then Sample Scope and Sequence - which will at least give you a framework to start with.
3. insidemathematics.org - this site doesn't have a lot of info for my 1st grade friends but it has sample video lessons and activities to use in the classroom.
Then I also left there with several ideas for using time test that are more student friendly
- have students make it about beating their own time. So you walk around with the stopwatch as they finish you write their time and then they graph it and see if they can get faster.
- have students do it with 2 color pencils. Have them use the 1st color for however long you would have normally tested them for and then have them switch and finish the paper with the other color.
- Have them sort the flash cards for the set of facts you are working on into hard and easy. Then have them practice and see if next week they can put more cards into the easy pile.
Hope you find these helpful. After a few coversations with co-workers today I'm off to research Daily 5 for math and Number Talks - if you use either and have tips please leave me a comment and let me know! I am excited and overwhelmed all at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment